View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Off the top of my head

Ethanol is supposed to replace MTBE which in turn was supposed to replace TEL (lead).

When we stopped using lead, there was a measurable impact on air quality - it didn't take long before lead concentration in the air went away. Regions that still use leaded fuel (at least this was still going on 5 years ago) have much more lead in their surrounding air environment.

MTBE has been more recently in the news due to the thousands of water contamination sites found. Officially, the low levels won't cause harm... But, anyone that's ever drank water contaminated with MTBE knows - it tastes like freaking crap. Humans are sensitive to it, so it doesn't take much to ruin water. As far as I know, charcoal filters don't remove the taste (I have never been in a position to test for myself, however).

Ethanol is supposed to replace MTBE

So what did it (MTBE) do in the first place? Well, it's considered an oxygenate which is supposed to help reduce emissions. It also served as an anti knocking agent. This was when it was introduced back in the early 80's (If I recall correctly).

The question is.... Does a modern engine require these oxygenates? Does the advancements in engine combustion still necessitate anti knock chemicals? Does ethanol actually do any of the things MTBE does (I think yes, but how effective)?

Interpret at will....

Quote:
"Frankly, I believe that it is egregious to require this nation to use more ethanol than we need in our fuel supply. This is terrible public policy. It amounts to a wealth transfer of billions of dollars from every state in the nation to a handful of ethanol producers. I believe this mandate amounts to a new gas tax."
While I'm not entirely disagreeing with the sentiment.... How is that versus the ~700 billion we (US) spend on oil imports?