Thread: T100 Question
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
rear windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I'm glad I asked I totally neglected my third brake light

Did you use a rear windscreen? Or is it completely open to the bed? If you did, is there any particular reason why you chose to make it vertical rather than flush and following the lines of the cover?

Thanks for the input
trebuchet,the upper brake light opening was left uncovered as,at about 10-degrees,a clear cover would reflect most of the red light down and refraction of such an inclined clear cover would diminish visibility of the light.---------------------------- With repect to the lower opening,yes,I did have a vertical plexiglass windshield there to weatherproof the shell.Had I attempted to cover that portion with a sloping clear cover,rear vision would have(as in the upper opening) been compromised due to refraction within the plex itself,and also do to internal reflections. This is why windshield angles have a practical incline limit,as,at some point you quite literally lose "vision". Aerodynamically there is a tradeoff,however from Hoerner,and others,the captured- vortex over these regions behave as a phantom surface,with the flow field passing over as if they were solid structures,and little drag penalty.Hope that helps,Phil.