View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
sevenspeed
EcoModding Lurker

Looking through the CRX manual it is cable driven but there is a speed pulser on the back of the gauge panel that outputs 4 pulses/cable rev. So that should work for VSS, haven't looked into if it goes to the ECU or not (would work either way just easier wiring.) For cars with optional cruise control doesn't it have to have an electronic speed signal somewhere? Any car that has an electric analog gash which I think most do should have a way to tap into the speedo somehow.

I just spent an unknown amount of time putting together my new MPGuino (excited) Ordered from spiffie V2
You'll need a soldering iron, solder, and side cutters and a multimiter probably. You'll also need soldering skills or bravery or a friend who does. It's not actually that hard but I've been doing it on rare occasion for quite some time. Usually just wiring in a car for stereo or aftermarket ECU or similar. Not too often with actual circuit boards. But it actually is a pretty basic skill if you have good fine motor control and aren't shakey.

Anyway, I've also got a 1990 CRX manual so I should be able to figure out the settings. I think I have the Vss figured out and the microsecond/gallon shouldn't be too hard with some math and looking up the injector size. I haven't hooked up to the wires in the car yet (1989 Civic Si d16a6) but should have that accomplished as well as some testing this weekend. So, I should be able to at least give ballpark figures for the settings. I also keep track of my tank mileage already so I can compare results and have a good idea of my average mpg.

Last edited by sevenspeed; 12-10-2008 at 09:25 PM..