View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
I think you probably need to simulate the wheel wells to get an accurate estimate of aerodynamics.
yes but how?

this simulation is 2d, so it's really a slice taken just below the cars under surface... normally it would be just a slice of wheel, but the add-on dams also intersect this plane and they appear as lines... nothing else sticks out into this slice of air, so there's nothing else drawn. i do want to divert air around the open wheelwell above the plane, as this is what oem airdams on some other cars seem to do.

so i want the majority of this flow to go around the area below the wheelwell, even when this is not moddeled.

i know interacting airflow can create flow patters wich are vastly differnent than what happenes with individual components, but i think it can be interesting to isolate certain things, like the dam/wheel, interaction and than try to guess what happenes when this would be integrated in whats aleady there.

that bike fork is interesting!... i think most objects in the end function as crude vortex generators so i think most drag reduction solutions are a matter of countering the bad vortices and enhanceing the good ones

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*