View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Why not just block the entire thing?
cause i'm pretty sure that'll get me into trouble. i can get away with a full top block on my normal commute, but during the summer i once got stuck for maybe 10-15 minutes in very slow moving traffic, and temps went way beyond where they should be... needle was all the way up into the red by the time i pulled ont the driveway.

i maybe get traffic like that once in 2 months for maybe 10 to 15 minutes, but it's usually not the sort of traffic that allows you to pull over to remove a grillblock, so whatever setup i have needs to cope with these situations.

both grills are quite small and the topgrill as more than 50% blocked from the factory so i think the engineers did their math.
on the other hand i do feel like the existing area while small is only really needed when the cars moving slowly, so i thought it would be great it i could make some sort of shield that would push the air aside as the car punches trough the air, but leaves enough room around the sides and so that the same volume of air can easily be sucked in by the fan.

the question is will this happen or will the same volume of air still enter the radiator regardless of what's in front of it.

i'd like an all season setup that's an improvement over stock even if this isn't ideal compared to a full block, but doesn't needs me to look at the temp gauge all the time

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*