Thread: S-10 efficiency
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
GasGuage
Uncle Jam

Lil' Red - '97 Chevy S-10 ext 2WD LS
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)
S-10 efficiency

Hello all, this week I acquired my '97 S-10 back from my better half. It has a 2.2 5-speed with 86K on the clock. I checked her mileage & she was getting 22.5mpg in mostly hwy (rural) driving. About a year ago I was hitting close to 27mpg. I have yet to run thru a tank to see what I can get now, but I would imagine a tad more since I drive quite a bit different then her. In going thru it yesterday, I noticed the tires were down to the tread bars & it was a quart low on oil. I took care of the oil & need to buy some new treads now. I'd like to hear from other S-10 owners similar to mine to see what kind of efficient tires they are using. I seen some BFG traction control tires for a very reasonably price at Tire Rack. They're about a 1/2" smaller in diameter then the Dunlops that are presently on the truck. These are 15" aluminum factory wheels. I'm shooting for 30mpg, even more in the future after a few more mods. what's a good tire to put on this truck? and do they make a high effiency cam shaft for the 2.2? thanks.