View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
ideal curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashic View Post
Sweet! Yeah, I was looking for that, but I couldn't remember who posted it. Suppose you could post a template of the ideal curve for me to play with?
akashic,the dark area in the template is the ideal curve.If you have a good side shot of the tacoma,scale it to just fit under the curve,where the highest point of the cab intersects the max height of the pattern.The curve dropping away and to the rear represents the ideal path,without separation,that the air will follow.-------------------------- For your shortbed,and 60-inches of bed length,I took the tangent of 10-degrees(probably a slope you wouldn't want to exceed for the short-bed),and it shows that at the tailgate,your cover shouldn't be any lower than 10-1/2 inches lower than the height of your roof.You could make up the difference with a rear spoiler laid back at a shallow angle no more than a 30-degrees which would intersect the line of the template.If you tilt it more upright,it will begin to dig back into drag.
The template will give you the better form,but at 10-degrees slope,you shouldn't get in too much trouble.P.S.,you almost have to do a rear spoiler because of the short bed!Happy fabricating!