Thread: Less Meat!
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
My wife won't even eat green vegetables. So I make her take supplements.

She will eat corn, and baked beans. But only Bush's. Other than that, we eat alot of Chicken. I'm not willing to give up meat entirely. I have teeth that are specifically designed for eating meat, so I will continue eating it.

I have, however, made several attempts in my life to eat as healthy as possible, including eating home-grown vegetables and fruits as often as possible, choosing fresh over preserved/canned, and drinking more coffee/water/milk/chocolate milk/tea than soda. I eat starchy foods during the day to lessen the mass of my intake, overall, while providing enough energy from sugars to keep me "alive and active" during the day, and eat several smaller meals during the day rather than 3 large ones.

This enables me to actually save food and money, since on an intake basis, I eat less per calorie of energy acquired, which means that on average, I use less energy to extract that energy. (Chewing, swallowing, etc.) I also net a lower intake due to refueling more often, and in smaller intervals. Using this method, I haven't felt "hungry" in years. Instead, I've developed a "feed me" feeling that doesn't need to be tended to immediately like actual hunger does.

I've even begun checking what the nutrient intake of some of the retail foods I eat is vs their mass, hoping to get more nutrients in less mass, thus being more efficient, since less digestion is required to get more fuel/energy/good stuff.

I also try to eat foods that are easily digestable, more as a comfort thing than for any real purpose. I find that foods that are light, basic, and easily digestable, (not beef, definitely), tend to make me less lethargic after eating.

I do enjoy some dried beef on occasion though, and still consume a hefty amount of salt, as a means to help control my blood pressure without medication (It's been chronically low since I was a kid.. I'm 23 now, and often, my BP readings are ~100/55 or less, and it's been as low as 70/30 before, but only for a brief period) . Doctor said it's OK, as long as it doesn't adversely affect anything else.

So, as you can see, I'm not willing to completely give up meat, eggs, cheese, dairy milk, etc. (although I do enjoy goat cheese and milk occasionally, from farm-raised stock) but I have cut back on them alot, while introducing other, still satisfying foods, and changing the way I consume food to begin with, allowing me to effectively consume less food with the same result.