View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Buddy
EcoModding Lurker

Wink Proposed modification for SUVs

I'm a new member and am BLOWN AWAY that such a forum exists. I drive a 2002 Toyota Highlander 4WD V6. The 2 modifications that I have made is adding a ScanGuageII, which helps me drive economically, and using AMSOIL. The rear end of my SUV is similar to that of 18-wheeler, i.e., a square block. You may have noticed that some 'big-rigs' have added a plastic 'bubble' to the rear of their trucks, so that the air can flow smoothly rather than create turbulance. Their bubble is on a hinge so that it swings out of the way and the 2 doors can be easily opened. If this didn't help mileage, I don't think the trucking companies would be spending money on it. Question #1 - does anyone have data on their savings? My plan is to go to a plastic fabricator and have a similar bubble made out of clear plastic, and have it fasten to the hatchback on 4 slots/bolts that can be tightened down. I hope the weight isn't too much, but I can always beef-up the hydraulics lifts for the hatchback. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.