View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Tire pressure sabotage

A few years ago I was browsing through Home Power's webpage and I read something about getting others to switch from regular light bulbs to energy efficient CF's. Someone would go to a store or restaraunt and, when nobody was looking, unscrew an old bulb and put in a CF they'd brought. Then someone would come by the place every now and then a see whether the owner got the idea or not. If so, he saved lots of money, electricity and emissions. If not, at least one bulb is using less electricity.

I got a similar idea aimed at reducing fuel consumption: Go to a parking lot with a pump and pressure gauge and pump up a few tires which are grossly underinflated. Go back home knowing that someone is going to use less gas.

I can see the downsides:
- First, it's probably illegal to tamper with someone's property.
- Second, by changing the pressure in someone's tires without their knowedge, you should take responsibility for anything that happens because of altered handling etc.

In my opinion, the owner of the car should not only know that the tires have been inflated over the sticker pressure, but he should also understand why. But not everyone can, or is willing to, understand.

The discussion is open.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread