View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
That's what I had in mind: A LOT of cars ride on underinflated tires with their owner not having any idea about it. If the pressure came down overnight, then they would have to check regularly. But air seeps out very slowly, usually slow enough that the tires aren't totally flat when the next tune-up is due, and then the service station takes care of it.

I got this conspiracy idea while pumping my father-in-law's tires. Ever since I start and finish my day with reading ecomodder.com, I check tire pressure weekly. I got his tires to 40psi (max is 44), mine to 45psi (51 max). I haven't told him that his tire pressure is over the sticker value, but he hasn't complained. One of his tires goes from 40psi down to 25-30 in a week, but I'm still not sure if I should tell. This is because he is against any kind of modding ("If the factory did it like that, then that's the best way to do it"). If he finds out and says "NO!", then he'll be permanently riding on semi-flats. On the other hand, having low pressure all around is probably safer than each wheel being different. That's why I pay more attention to his tires than mine. Plus he does way more milage per week than I do, so keeping his tires topped saves him gas. I will tell him about the seeping tire, and start a casual conversation about pressure in general and so on. But so far it's a conspiracy. I wonder if he'd notice a kammback?
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
I don't know about where you live, but in certain parts of NYC and the South messing with someones car in a parking lot can get you shot.
I spent many years in NC and know that people throw beer cans at you just for riding your bike on the same road as their truck

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread