View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
I made a serious OOPS and forgot to follow rule #1 of electronics: disconnect the power first.

I checked the 12v source to ground with the car off completely and it had power, so it wasn't an ACC line. Great, so I just mistakenly swapped the wires now I'll swap them back!

One blue spark later and now there's no power on that 12v line and my car won't start. Did I just fry my ECU?

Good now I dont feel so bad. I just did the same thing on the 6000 wagon when I installed the guino a little while ago. First thing I did was install the wires before the snow came. I didnt disconnect the power, but I am always careful and keep any hot wire bent away and taped off and keep it from shorting against anything. Kept it that way for weeks till I got it done.

Then when I went to install the guino, I trimmed all the wires the same length. At the same time. Stupid me, it didnt occur to me that the wire cutters would bridge all 4 wires and short something out. It must have burned some fusible link because it didnt blow any fuse. So I bridged it into the constant power at the radio. Thankfully its been running fine ever since. Next summer Ill probably figure out what blew and fix it right.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver