View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
i_am_socket
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
After many tense hours of me going "ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap" and my fiance giving me the stink-eye, we called an old co-worker of hers that does automotive and industrial electronics for a living.

One Might Mouse theme song later, he shows up and says it's just a blown fuse. An hour of laying upsidedown under the dashboard and testing all the fuses in the engine compartment (why have one fusebox when you can have three?) we find the blown fuse. I have spares of that amperage but they're too big and the spares they provide are a little high so he swapped in a 30 for the 20.

So now he's all interested in how and why I decided to fry my car and he helps wire in everything correctly and without destroying the wires with the clip-in taps. Now everything is wired up and connected and very nearly working.

Turns out I really did have the wires connected to the phone box backwards and should have just followed the installation instructions first before deciding I knew better. The Guino was actually powering itself off the fuel injector line and using the VSS as the ground. I'm surprised the whole thing didn't explode.

Anywho, so now I have a 3/4 working MPGuino. Speed is now pretty darn dialed in, power and ground are solid, but I'm not getting the fuel injector signal. It's definitely tapped into the ground side of the injector and there's voltage coming across but it's not pulsing that I can tell from the multimeter and the Guino thinks I'm EOCing and showing 999999 Tank MPG. If only it were true

Maybe I'm just a bit slow these days, but I'm not quite understanding the screen descriptions on the wiki. Big X and status I get, but the default custom and the instant displays I'm having issues translating the description to the one or two letters I see on the screen. Here's what I saw driving in to work this morning on the custom screen:

MG 999999S.....57.30
GH 000000C...999999

I'm guessing MG is MPG and GH is GPH, S is fairly obvious, but what is C? Right now I think it's just telling me the speed of light...

Last edited by i_am_socket; 12-16-2008 at 02:07 PM..