Thread: Less Meat!
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
IndyIan
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Bennelson,
I'm glad you posted your story, and I agree there are some parts of butchering that are not much fun... But I think in the end, its worth it for the reasons you listed. How do you find the taste of the buck? I assume its from a farming area so maybe its not to strong? We have only eaten does and they are quite mild in flavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
I stopped eating meat in '96 and cut out dairy and eggs back in February. Too many good reasons to list. Ethics, health, environment, you name it. I find more and more tasty vegan stuff all the time. Burgers, hot dogs, pizza, sausages, bacon, ice cream, egg rolls, chocolate milk, you name it I've got it. And all much healthier than the "real" thing. But my main motivation is ethical.
I'm not going to defend the mainstream meat industry, I have ethical problems with it as well, but there more alternatives all the time to industrial chicken, and feedlot beef.
We have goats and chickens who get to do what goats and chickens are meant to do. Graze, sleep in the sun, we even take our goat herd for browsing trips through the woods. They browse like deer and have a great time. We still will eat them though, otherwise they are expensive pets with no purpose.
I'd much rather do this than support the over processed veggie food industry. I like my foods to have only ingredients I can pronounce, not 17 compounds trying to simulate something else...
The milk I drink in the morning has one ingredient, milk, from Wendy(our dairy goat). And the chicken I had for dinner was, a chicken. That grew up eating bugs and plants off my front lawn.
I doubt any soy "milk" or veggie "meat" could be any less damaging to the environment or healthier for you.
There are huge companies with big advertising budgets pushing veggie food as healthier, just like there was for hydrogenated vegetable oils, and I think eventually most synthetic food will be shown to be not better for you.

People in France eat way more animal fats, drink more but on average are much healthier than North Americans? How can this be?!
Maybe because they only eat stuff they can pronounce.
Ian