View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #179 (permalink)
cmroseberry
Mech & Aero Engineer

Let me clarify what I meant. In mentioning the "cooling airflow path" I had jumped to a different topic - the airflow to and from the radiator and condenser. If I could look at a Jetta, then I might be able to make some authoritative suggestions based on my research for my MSME. For example. looking at my own cars, I would say my Jaguar X-type has a more efficient flow path than my Taurus wagon.

In regard to the heat transfer from the exhaust system, I was concerned what the increased temperatures might do to the pipes and surrounding structure. It may or may not be a problem; I would want to hear from someone who has tried a bellypan on something similar to a Jetta. If I were to install a belly pan on one of my cars, I would put dabs of temperature indicating lacquer on the pipes and surrounding structure to see if I had introduced any severe hot spots. (templac is available from omega.com)

Seeing that it has been brought-up, I do not agree that hotter exhaust would be helpful (if it makes much of a difference at all). Flow resistance is proportional to the square of velocity.