View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #44 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
windshield/tires

The tires would have to be so large,I'd have to alter the shackles or re-arc the leaf-springs and I'd still lose bump-clearance inside the wheel well.Also,I'd have to slip the clutch every time I started out from a dead stop.

There is a Tremec 6-speed transmission offered for GM,Ford and Dodge.I could look into the input-shaft situation too see if that trans could be adapted.It's a lot of bucks,and for the ratio in 6th-gear,I still might have to change the differential(not so easy with Toyotas).

With regards to the windshield,I have a line on a GTP windshield from a kit-car manufacturer.It's $3,000 US,( very rich for my income ) but it is basically perfect aerodynamically and is DOT rated laminated safety-glass ( a must for street use!).I do have the rear windshield from a 1995 Camaro which is very similar to the GTP unit,however is not laminated glass and would never pass the annual safety inspection .I might be able to run it at El Mirage or Bonneville if SCTA or USFRA would let it through inspection.If I were to "invert" on the track,the glass would probably shatter all over the place.Not good for the track or other racers.I understand why they might "fail" it.

Since I'm so curious about the trailer,I'll stay on that one.I figure from my velocity/mpg curve that the T-100 will pull about 36.5 mpg at 55-mph.Without the rolling resistance of the trailer bearings factored in,the truck could conceivably pull 45-mpg at say 55-mph ( which is closer to EPA HWY environment. We'll see!