View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nevyn
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichotomous View Post
I feel about as aware when hypermiling my car, as I do in general riding my motorcycle. which is very aware. I tend to not be anywhere near as aware in my car as my bike, since there is a full heavy steel cage around me instead of nothing around me and sitting with 4.5gallons of gasoline between my motor and my crotch. so being bike aware in the car, is a very cool thing. kinda reminds me of back when I would come home after snowboarding, finding the perfect momentum for everything (snowboarding momentum and gavity are you ONLY engine, and there are lots up uphill sections on the slopes suprisingly, you get good at knowing your glide)
Agreed. Motorcycles make you VERY sensitive to what is going on around you, as well as what is going on underneath you. More tuned to traffic, more tuned to the sound of your engine, more tune to what may be laying on the road. It definitely helped my driving style. I'm much more aware of tar snakes, road surface texture changes, tire/engine noise, and whether or not cars around me are gaining/losing ground relative to my position.

Last edited by Nevyn; 12-16-2008 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: grammar police