View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Do you have any pics of your setups? Materials used? Tips on construction?
Daox,the pictures I have are mostly Kodachrome slides and the window of opportunity to transfer these to prints or digital is something I need to investigate.When I did the projects I was obsessed with completion and didn't always do a photo-journal.----------------- The nose of the CRX was mocked-up with cardboard and masking-tape right on the car,then I glassed over that.After the layups were done,I soaked the whole nose in a farm and ranching type stock tank.The corrugated paper turned to mush and separated from the composite fiberglass.------------- I built "light" so if I ever had a collision in the front,the nose would disinegrate,and not take the radiator out with it.------------------------------------- The nose of the Dodge was done with cardboard patterns,tranferred to plywood,cedar,Masonite,and I also used a very light gauge of aluminum sheet to form the inside of the duct.Foam rubber was used to close gaps at the radiator bulkhead,again,very light construction to protect innards in a crash.--------------------- The nose of the T-100 is constructed much as a cedar canoe,with cedar bulkhead,stringers,and formers,all joined with screws and in some places angle-brackets.Toyota did a faily good job inside the grille,and the grille remains in place,with the wood superstructure and skins marrying up to it with labor-intensive tailoring of the wood.Luan Mahogany door-skin is used to close the whole thing in,with spar varnish polyurethane and 35-year latex caulk to seal and weatherize.The grille opening is the lid from a stainless-steel trashcan lid which resembles a NACA ( precurser to NASA ) Cowl,and it is joined to an ABS plastic surround,which actually mated to the trashcan.This setup is more like a "plenum" than a duct,as the inlet simply "blows" into an airtight chamber.I experienced one over-heat episode this last Thanksgiving holiday do to extremely slow speed in traffic up a steep mountain ascent.Otherwise,there's been no trouble at speeds up to 115-mph.The face of the bumper has been cut away on either side of the internal ogival valve to allow a straight shot for the air.I have not done photo-bucket yet but hope to soon,as I do have a few good close-ups of the T-100.P.S. the skin facets for the non-airtight portion of the nose is fashioned from PVC shower stall sheeting I got from Home Depot.The turn- signal and headlight covers are heat-gun-formed plexiglas held on with stainless screws,