View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
dichotomous
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
Agreed. Motorcycles make you VERY sensitive to what is going on around you, as well as what is going on underneath you. More tuned to traffic, more tuned to the sound of your engine, more tune to what may be laying on the road. It definitely helped my driving style. I'm much more aware of tar snakes, road surface texture changes, tire/engine noise, and whether or not cars around me are gaining/losing ground relative to my position.
and with a sport bike, even my "low powered" sport bike (only 75hp/45tq, compared to 190hp/90tq on a bigbore) the throttle response and acceration is instant you really have to have your head into what you are doing. let you head slip for a second and you are in triple digits.

but every bike requires you to pay more attention, because the fact that you are moving fast and could die really easily at these speeds is right there all around you, its not hidden behind glass and steel.

I really think that motorcycle training should be required for people to get car licenses (aside from those who physically cannot ride). mainly because it makes you have a healthy fear of transportation so you can use your judgement better. I want to put my sister in the program and have her ride a bike for a summer, she's so clueless when driving.... I was driving right next to her in my VERY loud white civic (rare model though, looks way different) with black hood, honking at her in the next lane while driving, she wasnt even aware that someone was honking at her from 4 feet away...... that would change if she was used to riding.