View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
mobilerik
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Person w/ the Toy PreRunner - If you have stake pockets in your rig:
  1. Put tight fitting boards in them, at least as tall as the top of your cab.
  2. Get a chalk line, and learn to calculate the angle of a scalene triangle based on it's right angle size. (Or get a protractor)
  3. Tap a nail into the board at the cab-line on the front,
  4. Tap a nail into the rear board at a level that creates a 13* angle from the front to the rear
  5. Snap your chalk line between those two points, and cut them off on that angle
  6. Same on other side
  7. Frame off the 4 or 6 boards in your stake pockets so they're all attached to each other, and won't move around
  8. Get a canvas tarp, or something waterproof that doesn't look too "redneck" (if you care about looks)
  9. Attach it to the frame, starting at the top and cleanly folding it into itself to create the taper down to the tailgate, stapling/brad nailing it in place as you go
  10. Test
  11. Record results
I suppose you mean me? You can call me "Rik", btw. It sounds like you're describing either a very high sloping tonneau cover or the back of an aeroshell. No I don't have stake pockets. You can see my solution at the end of my build thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...nner-6342.html I'll be building a sturdy version tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
You should see some kind of drag improvement by doing this, as it effectively creates a boat-tail of your bed, one of the easiest things to do to a truck.

You will, however, notice less winter (snow and ice) traction at speed,
Good thing I live in San Diego, eh?

In my build thread, you can see some "teardrop analysis" and discussion of my options re: a Kamm-style chopped boat tail to work for my shortbed.