View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I saw on the green channel a thing about hydro power that can be created without a nearby stream...

It's a high-speed medium output generator that uses the force from water, but the system that uses it is the most unique I've seen to date:

One group of hunters powers their cabin with it: a 200 gallon (I think) under ground "catch tank" on at the bottom of a hill, with ~200 feet of piping running to the generator house, all of which is small gauge drainage pipe, perforated.

Water goes from the water table in the ground into the pipe, runs down the hill, powers the generator, then runs into the bulk tank (which is more like a septic tank, and is able to disperse excess water without flooding, through a leech-field effect) for bulk-water use, such as cooking and showering, and could be boiled to extract drinking water.

A system like this, which doesn't provide a large amount of power, could definitely benefit from a more efficient storage solution than batteries, since you're not using power while you're sleeping, or out on the hunt.

Obviously, this could be employed for more than a hunting cabin as well.

I love the "Green" Channel.