View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
If you can get to the outside of the door then get some of the outdoor window plastic to seal it, then make a foam plug that fits the opening, or like you said a cardboard plug, taping all the seams and edges and if you did another sheet of plastic on the inside you would keep moister from freezing in there, then hang a curtin of choice over it.
It's a second-story deck with a 3' railing, so while I could technically get to it, it wouldn't be very easy.

Also, my attempt at hanging plastic indoors was mostly unfruitful... The plastic simply will not stick to anything on the lower portion, forcing me to hold it down with a wool blanket. The upper portions also pull off a little bit at a time, requiring me to go around tacking on more tape. I don't think either the tape is very good, or the frame is very stick-worthy. I did clean it as thoroughly as I could before applying the tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Do you use the door at all? If not, multiple layers of cardboard, or bubble wrap if you want some light, should give you an R-value not too much less than standard insulation of the same thickness. As was mentioned above, it's the trapped air that does most of the insulating, and corrugated cardboard should do that pretty well.

I'd try to run the corrugations horizontally, rather than vertically, to minimize any convection.
I would have hoped my plans would have left little doubt in that department.

Now I'm starting to wish I hadn't loaned out my giant roll of bubble wrap.

And a modified plan: I have a rather large sheet of MDF hanging around in my parents garage, that I no longer intend to use for it's original purpose, so how about the MDF sheet, with a layer of cardboard on each side, jammed tightly into the wall around the door, (the door is recessed about 3"), with cardboard shims to hold it in place around the edges. That may give this project the structural rigidity that I was looking for.

Last edited by The Atomic Ass; 12-19-2008 at 12:39 AM..