View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
We normally just use regular towels and throw them in the wash.

Having just left the kitchen, I remembered something we do that some don't.
Re-use small water bottles.
Those 16 or 20 ounce ones in the pack.
I rinse them in the sink and refill them and put them in the fridge so my Honey can have a nice cold water after work.
We will use them until the top becomes loose enough, to not be water tight any more, then recycle them.
Then we find another case on sale somewhere, (being down to four available I bought a case this morning, 24 16.5 oz. bottles for $2.45), and use them for another six months.
Yes it was before Aug that we last bought water.
So now instead of spending $3.00 to $4.00 a week on water we spend $2.50 to last us six more months.

just .02 more,
S.

My wife pretty much only drinks water or juice, and goes to school 4 days a week, so she takes water bottles with her.

I still purchase new bottles for her, just for the sake that our water here sucks, but when she's home, she'll just refill the day's bottle and drink it.

Also, at times, her step dad brings home 5 gallon bottles of water from work (he works for Unilever/Exel). We fill smaller bottles from it (re-used juice bottles) and store them in the fridge to drink on a daily basis. We use sink water to wash and etc.

Paper towels - Has anyone considered using the "sham-wow"? I've not gotten the chance to buy one yet, though I would love to test them personally. Even if they're not as good as they say, it's still an OK deal for a set of re-usable shop towels.

Aside that, I usually have messes to clean up that are bigger than one PT can handle... I buy towels that I can rinse out and re-use.. and I get them from the parts store. They're blue, and you can actually wash them in the washer (as long as you haven't used them on dangerous chemicals.)

I guess they're just called "Shop Towels" but they're usually less than $3/roll. They actually saved me money, since I don't use nearly as many of them, and they're multi-use. I buy them about 2-3 times a year, rather than spending $2/roll for towels once every week or two.