View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I would expect no less from a person w/ that avatar! LOL

In all Honesty, I actually got my loveseat ($400$ new) and ottoman ($600$ new) which, ironically, almost perfectly match each other, free. How, you might ask?

I used to walk out back of a Rent-A-Center when I worked at IBM Endicott (EIT, Inc.).

I spotted them, and called a friend to help carry them the 5 blocks from there to my apartment, without mentioning anything to my wife... she was more than surprised to find out that I was bringing home a paycheck AND $1000 worth of nearly new furniture.

I scored a LCD computer monitor that wouldn't turn on as soon as you hit the power button.. it took a few seconds.

Tables, chairs, etc. all free, all from "Trash".

My wife and I used to take walks on Tuesday nights, when everyone put their trash out. I can't count the amount of money I've made from selling trash, or the parts I've gotten from one thing that might be useful for something else. Almost a year of it, and only one confrontation, which ended up with the cops involved, laughing at the crazy man who called them over a garbage picker.

In some cities, they actually applaud those of us who use the things that others waste, since it keeps it out of the landfill, keeps the garbage from getting strewn about, etc.

Ironically, for the first time in my life, the cops were on MY SIDE... It felt strange.