Thread: Fuel weight
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
jjackstone
Master EcoModder

Perhaps this thread applies more to those who already have extremely high efficiencies. If one is already getting 50-60 mpg I would think it unusual to run out of gas with a 200-300 mile range(4-6 gallons).

Quote:
Who: It's too bad there wasn't an inflatable bladder inside the gas tank. You could inflate it to 10 gallons in a 15 gallons tank and fill'r up with just 5 gallons
Great idea. Just have to keep it away from the fuel output line.

Quote:
MetroMPG: I'm torn between wanting to calculate my actual fuel consumption (by doing a complete fill up) and wanting to minimize weight (by doing more frequent small fills & then relying only on the SG to tell me my FE).
Which leads to a question I've been meaning to ask. Does the SG actually calculate the fuel economy or is it reading that info from the vehicle's onboard computer? I understand that the SG can tell you how much fuel is left in the tank by doing the full tank calibration sequence, but since it already reads the fuel efficiency before the tank cal is performed, then one of the two previous assumptions must be true.

Quote:
Lazarus: I have run multiple 5 gallons fills in a 15 gallon tank with no appreciable increase if FE. It does accelerate better but it was a hassle to fill up every 2-3 days.
Lazarus, if the vehicle accelerates better I would have to think that is due to the lighter weight. However, because of the lighter weight and the fact that an increase in acceleration is noticeable, maybe backing off on the throttle upon acceleration would make the difference in fuel economy more apparent.

Again, these are just a few thoughts I have. Other than the fact that for years I haven't filled my gas tank completely unless going on a longer trip, I haven't actually tried any readings myself as my new SG just showed up yesterday. And it works in both my Fords. Only the unit itself was sent(no cable). Just glad it wasn't a bad cable.
JJ