View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Fixing and donation qualify as re-using, in my book... so I'll humor this one.

Churches are often looking for donations of the sort, to keep up with at least the trailing edge of technology.

Often times, brothers and sisters clubs are in need, as well. Many times, they can't afford the computers that might otherwise be given to them.

Several community schools might also accept such a donation, provided the systems are "cleanable"... i.e. no software installed.

The nice thing about freecycle in large areas is that it reaches so widely over the population, even through hear-say and WOM. Also, you can easily pick and choose who you give something to. A few emails back and forth will usually pretty easily determine who will make the most of such a gift.

Around this time of year, it might even be nice to get a list of needy families from a local church, and donate a computer directly to them, no thanks necessary. I don't know about your area, but in rural areas, most churches will gladly give the names of those who haven't asked that it not be done, and this makes it easy for someone to "Secret Santa" a gift to a family who otherwise could not afford such a thing.

As far as the cupholders in the Honda, I've considered doing that several times.. but there are more OEM appearing ways to do it, if you have the patience and skill to make them fit. One such way is the DIN slot cup holder on the ford taurii of the age... they fit perfectly where the radio went in hondas, and the average honda has a cubby-slot that can be cut out to accommodate them as well. Another option is the center console from some newer Integras (90+) that have cupholders in them. Also, many have just taken window-mount ashtrays, made cupholders from them, and mounted them to a section of trim that would overhang in front of the passenger seat, which, amazingly, doesn't interfere with passenger legroom, for the most part.