View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
You don't really have to have a controller. It is possible to just put a fan controller sensor in the head that kicks it on at like 120 degrees and just runs it full speed. The pumps are not that big and a windshield wiper motor from what little testing I have done should be big enough for a 3-4 cyl motor to keep cool with. I planned on doing this to my car at some point in the future but with as much stuff as I have lined up waiting to get done it might be a while.

The kit for the drag cars seems to be a bit bigger motor than what is really needed for a small car but the good thing about it is that it has all the brackets and stuff needed to make it a more or less bolt on.

If you have some random parts laying around an electric water pump could be put together really cheap and leaving the thermostat in the car means it could just be connected to the fuel pump relay so it runs when the engine is running without making the engine stay cold. I am not sure how much of a gain it would give with it running all the time though along with the higher load of pushing against a closed thermostat instead of circulating in more of a free flow thermostat free setup.