View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
ATaylorRacing
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ

Almost all my furniture came from cheap stores that would throw out broken returns....the recliners, loveseats, and sofas had cheap, thin wood frames that would break easily. I would pull off the dust covers and put a couple of wood slats on each side of the breaks and use a few bolts to hold them together...never had a fixed one break on me, barely used for free.

When I open my mail I use paper that has no printing on the back side for everything that I use my printer for that I want to keep.

The envelopes that have no print on the backside are used for note paper.

I have been reusing throw away plastic plates forever, along with large size McDonald cups. Refilling water bottles is a no brainer.

When I was an active mailman with a rte of 44 miles I would get all kinds of free stuff that people set out. I'd come by after work and pick it up, then on my days off set it out front with a very low priced sign and it'd be sold in a few minutes.

One guy took 11 adult bikes that he didn't want to mess with due to various problems. For less than $20 I had them all in perfect riding order and would take one per event to the drag strip and sell them for $20-$50....11 bikes, 11 races....paid for my entry fee on average.

Had a 2.5 Chrysler minivan motor with 235,000 miles on it given me. The guy was a rural router and had pulled it out to replace with a newer one as a preventive measure. It was put in a car that I race as is and won the Dodge SRT Nationals with it a couple of months later. My car has 267,000 miles on it and only sees used stuff put on. The motor used 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles (nice, since that's my change interval) and I just had it freshened up with used Ford wrist pins (.912 compared to .9), timing belt, valve job, valve guides, and valve seals.

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's