View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #47 (permalink)
captainslug
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
My High Power LED arrived a week late (thanks to it being shipped from Canada).
Today was a day of strange problems.
The Negative pad on the LED dumps heat right onto the back of the LED. So lower wattage soldering irons can't overcome the heatsink effect. If you want to solder onto the trace you have to use at least a 100-watt soldering iron. This is not mentioned in the datasheet and lead to much frustration.

And this isn't so much a problem, as it is very funny. The LED is actually TOO bright.
It's painful to look at indirectly and even more unbearable to look at directly. I'm going to have to add a diffusor or at least a blinder of some kind to avoid blinding people.

Instructable will be made once I get it back in one piece and working safely enough to put it on the scooter.

Edit: And the headlight is done!

I soldered a capacitor in to bridge the positive and negative of the LED running light array so that I get a fade effect when the headlight is switched to the high beam. Here's an animation of the effect.

The switch from high beam to running light is instantaneous.

Tomorrow I'll have more pictures of the scooter with the headlight installed, as well as an output comparison between the new headlight and the old one.

Last edited by captainslug; 12-22-2008 at 07:07 PM..