View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
bondo
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I am interested in making a home-built version of Bondo's super-cool truck capper.

I was originally thinking using coroplast. My S10 is white, and that's one of the stock colors you can get it in.

One thing I like about the S10 is that you have great visibility looking out the back and checking blind-spots. Any type of a cap would greatly reduce this.

What do you think of making the entire top-angled part of the cap out of plexiglass or acrylic? Or at lease making a REALLY BIG window in it. Bondo's design is great, but those windows sure look small to me.

I know that there are various materials used for greenhouses. Maybe there is some sort of greenhouse material that would make a great aero-cap and still keep good visibility?
Bennelson,

You're right. Rearward visibility is very limited on the prototype aero cap. I have installed larger windows in the production design. Darin mentioned the see thru aero cap he had seen. I have pics of it somewhere also and will see if I can find them.

If you choose to use a clear plastic, make sure it is polycarbonate (lexan). Acrylic can shatter like glass and break up in large sharp edged pieces. The best remedy I have found for seeing while backing up is the $90.00 backup camera sold at Wal Mart. I have had mine installed since I put the prototype on my truck back in April of last year. Easy to install, works great!

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010461.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	278   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010456.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	279