View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Intrigued
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigued View Post
v-8 chevy hotrod pumps: Electric Water Pumps: Stewart Components, Inc. 38 to 55 gallons/minute seems out of range for most cars...
Moroso 63585 - Moroso Billet Aluminum OEM Mount Electric Water Pumps - summitracing.com

I did some more checking: this pump boasts a flow rate of 30-37 gpm, and says it is "up to 21% more" higher flow rate than competitors. I didn't trust my memory on OEM flow rates, but it would seem that 25 gpm would be great for a flow rate for most street v-8s, so 20 ought to be good for a smaller engine.

Since an OEM setup can handle that with the thermostat closed, just see what speed you need to turn the pump to make the needed flow. Using controllers/relays for multiple speeds may very well just be unneeded complications, considering the amp rates that are being discussed. (Guud, your situation is a little different, there... ) A 10 amp constant pull on a battery, even with an unbelted alternator, won't drag down a battery too quickly. Just thinking out loud of personal possibilities on my car, with a couple of deep-cycle batteries, I would think I could make it the 57 miles to the University and back with no problem.

This Summit pump boasts a 7 amp rate. Does anybody know how many amps a wiper motor pulls? Never having done a load test on one, just from the size of the wires I bet they pull more than 7...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...