View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
IheartGeos
EcoModding Lurker

The Geo - '89 Geo Metro
90 day: 46.93 mpg (US)
Smile Restoring a 1989 Geo Metro

Hello all!

Well, I have been lurking around here off and on for quite a while, and now I finally got down to it and signed up.

My first travel into the ecomodding way was my first car at age 17: I got 35 consistently, and modified my driving when I realized certain driving habits were knocking the mpg's down to 32.

Anyway, recently I had a 1994 Geo Metro, automatic, and got 42 mpg driving reasonably. I sold it because I needed the money, and soon after I got a 1994 GMC Sonoma which barely gets 20! The engine runs so rough, and the thing is not aerodynamic at all. Towards the end of my owning the '94 Geo, I bought a junker with a manual tranny to do a swap, but the "junker" body was in such good shape that I decided to rebuild the engine instead.

So, in rebuilding it and eventually modding the body hardcore, I decided to put up a blog about it: Restoring a 1989 Geo Metro I also have a flickr account with lots more pictures: Flickr: Tobias Davis' Photostream

So far I am still rebuilding the engine, but this week I should have it up and running. It is a real blast to work on a Geo, they are so simple! I bought the *real* owners manual online, so that helps a lot.

I have lots of plans that I want to do on my Geo, but I am a full-time college student so I don't get much time. I am squeezing in lots of work between semesters, so hopefully I can get something done.

Anyway, just saying hello, glad to be here!

I don't have a picture of the car yet, so here is a picture of the detail work I did to the engine today (click on it for a full size version at flickr):