View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
I was talking about the legislators, not the truck drivers. Sorry I was unclear. It isn't the trucker's fault someone can't time a proper pass around a vehicle as big as an 18+ wheeler. But it IS the legislators fault by creating hazards, rather than preventing them (subject to argument). I see both sides of the car/trucker thing. My uncle/brother/ex-stepdad/ex-step grandfather etc, all drive/drove 18 wheelers, so I am very aware of their stories and point of view.

I respect the professional truck drivers. After all, they are AT work, and "we" aren't. I love driving with the truck drivers in my little ole 4 wheeler (F250) on the interstate. A lot can be learned just by watching how a professional drives. I've adopted the good habits I hope (left lane to allow on-ramp drivers on, left lane for emergency vehicles and vehicles on the side of the road that may have people in them, flash truckers when they are clear to pass back into the right lane, follow at 4 seconds behind, back to right lane after passing when BOTH headlights are in the rearview mirror - stuff like that). My ex step-father (still a trucker) taught me to drive 30 years ago.

I still think a CB should be standard issue in every vehicle...

later