View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #75 (permalink)
GasGuage
Uncle Jam

Lil' Red - '97 Chevy S-10 ext 2WD LS
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)
I live in a rural area, so most of my driving is Hwy. And my temp guage is always low. Actually, I thought it was a little too low & replaced the thermostat & anti-freeze this fall, but it's holding about the same. The heater is plenty warm though. The switch would be a good idea except for one thing. On the hottest of days when the heat index hits around 110*, & the A/C would be on with my wife driving it, she might neglect to switch on the fan. I'd definitely would have to have the thermo probe. But seeing how the radiator is way too much for my 2.2, I think I'll go out this aftn & block off my grill. I just filled it up today for $12.90 (don't you love it?). That was about 8.4gal. Then I could see on my next fillup what kind of gains I could get off of that mod. This hypermilin' is getting addicting, or self competitive. Another idea I had today for a screw-in type probe would be to locate it in the radiator hose. That hose could be cut in half with a pipe & clamps installed in the middle somewhere with a pipe threaded nut welded to it for the 3/8" NPT probe. That might not me a bad thought. Once I get the fan, the wiring, relays & whatnots, and tear into it, that would be the best time to decide how best to wire this thing. Was there any special ways you attached that fan to the radiator, or shroud? Will the zip ties hold up OK? Thanks.