View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Kevin,I wish your paper was available at dealer showrooms! The automakers have been installing faux spoilers on tailgates for a few years now,in hopes that it will promote"tailgate-up" driving.Unfortunately,many truck owners apparently do not "get it",and continue to drive with the gate "down," clinging to intuitive concepts about how the air "must" behave.Some remove the gate altogether,thinking the combined :weight-savings and drag reduction" will save them fuel.Hope you sleep okay knowing what you know.It drives me nuts!

LOL I used to drive with my tailgate down... but for a diff reason - I was hiding my license plate. In PA, you can put a car plate on a truck as a temp... until you get the real truck plate. I got pulled over in NY state (used to live on the border) at LEAST 15 times in one month, b/c they'd never seen anyone do it.

After all that hassle, I drove around w/ the tailgate down so the plate wasn't as noticeable.

On that same note, though, I always had a lop of plywood bolted to the rear half of the bed, as well.