View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigued View Post
What we need to do now is to find a wiper motor that lends itself to modding cheaply and easily. Something that had a shaft that would be easy to put a sprocket or pulley on. Anyone have any experience with that???
Smallest one I can think of - Rear wiper motor from a CR-X or Civic Hatchback - 88-91 models.

Actually, just about any rear wiper motor is small enough, I would think. Anyway, pretty much all wiper motors (that I know of) have a shaft on them that has an eccentric of sorts, which drives the wiper transmission, which drives the wiper arms, which drives the wipers themselves back and forth.

That said, you'd have to add onto the shaft, as it's (that I know of) usually only 1/2" or so long. You'd need something longer/thicker for the average tooth-belt gear.

What kind of speeds are we thinking to drive the water pump at? From OEM's, I believe it's usually driven pretty close to 1:1 w/ the engine at all times... this would be a consideration in what to use for the drive's tooth-cog. I'd think you could use the OEM crank tooth-cog if your water pump is already driven by the timing belt.

Also - how will you re-route the timing belt around the water pump's pulley/cog?

Suggestion: Pair of idler pulleys bolted on either side of the pump - above and below it - that will allow the belt to stand off at least 10mm from the pump's cog, 5mm from the new belt on the pump. This will allow you to use the OEM tensioner pulley to adjust tension, and it's normal slack will allow for the slack necessary to the belt due to the longer dimension needed to deflect the belt around the pump's pulley/cog.

Unfortunately, you can kiss the timing cover good-bye for this idea, or at least have to trim it up.