Thread: AMA on noise
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
dichotomous
EcoModding Apprentice

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
One thing I thought I'd add.

Manufacturers aren't helping the noise issue either!!!!

Yamaha now puts a quiet silencer on their YZ450F. Everyone talks about how much quieter it is than the competition, yet it sound checks the loudest. Why? Because Kawasaki, Honda, and Suzuki would rather "cheat" the system than build a quiet bike. They use ignition timing to quiet things down when running higher rpms and no load. This means the quiet Yamaha might blow 100 dB, but the Kawasaki that is painfully loud only shows 95 dB on the meter. This does NOTHING to help us in the battle to quiet things down and save riding areas!
yeah sound testing is pretty much why there is ignition retarding and tall gears on all the sport bikes sold in the usa. you dont think supersports would be more fun if they were geared lower than 100mph in 1st gear? makes it so they can be reving low at 35mph, also there are usually butterfly valves in the mufflers to open up more "to increase or spread power"... yeah thats BS, they are just cheating the system. my bike had all that stuff, I disabled the ignition timing and it runs better all the time, it never had a butterfly valve, or at least not when I bought it (it had a pipe installed by the previous owner) but I have never read that they had them to begin with anyways.
of course, my bike does "have a pipe" on it, as in, a louder pipe purely for the sake of a louder pipe.... its not prettier, it doesnt give any more power, it does weigh about half as much and doesnt get hot like the OEM though, those are benefits. but its pretty much there to let the little V2 sound like a mean thing instead of a sewing machine. I'm thinking of inserting a sound reducer that I have seen for the model, though I havent been able to find it or even figure out how to order one, and I have tried.
now, if I am going to be building a new tail peice (for luggage and aero reasons) then I will integrate in a new muffler into it, and I may build a custom one, similar to a "twin loop muffler" for cars, only it will be triloop muffler, and be almost silent, whilest maybe giving better power. but again, we shall see