View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
rykoala
Wannabe Modder

Which vehicle for this mobile tech? (a bit long)

Hi everyone, I have a dilemma that I need help figuring out.

I am a mobile computer tech. I drive in the Reno NV area and there isn't a way out of this valley that doesn't have hills, and a fair bit of the area I do is around a lot of hills. I currently drive my 86 4x4 Suburban, its my only vehicle.

Come tax time I want to buy something cheap that gets a lot better mileage. At least my employer pays 50 cents per mile so I can afford to drive that truck, but I'd like to get 20+ or even 25+ if possible, as it would cut my fuel bill in half or better.

I'm considering late 70's early 80's imports. My biggest problem is that I have a somewhat bad back and getting in and out of cars is a real pain, no pun intended. I am also a big guy in the size department and 6'1". So for me, cars are almost out of the question. Our company vehicle, which I rarely get to drive is a Scion xB and it is comfortable to get in and out of, as are most 2wd mini trucks.

I am considering a 75-84 toyota pickup with a 4 or 5 speed, or even a 2wd Chevy K5 blazer if I can find one with a 4 speed and a straight 6 instead of a V8. I know I'd be lucky to top 20mpg with it, but it would be a compromise I could handle if I could get a steady 18mpg out of it, if possible. Regearing the rear end would be a possibility with numerically low gearing around 2.92 or 2.50.

Considerations of 70's/80's 2wd short bed trucks:
Datsun 720 or 620
Chevy Luv
Dodge (mitsubishi) D50
Toyota
Chevy K5 blazer w/ 6cyl
Ford Courier

anything I missed?

I had a 1982 720 pickup once, it was a 4wd that had been beated pretty hard and I considered that thing a pile of crap. I'm not inclined to get another one as the motors are a pain in the butt with the alternator tucked way under, and there being 8 sparks plugs and thus a more complicated distributor setup.

Toyota's are an obvious choice since they are so durable. I don't know very much about the rest.

I know that with around town and only a mild amounts ofbit of freeway driving that aerodynamics aren't all that important. I am going to focus on things such as tires (aired up real nice), good engine tuning, decent gearing, and a vacuum gauge to give me real time readings.

I don't need much cargo space and I'm thinking that my stuff could fit in the passenger seat most of the time, and if I deleted the passenger seat it would not be a problem *any* time, and would save some weight. I have also considered weight reduction as a means of saving fuel. I don't know where you'd start on such a simple vehicle to begin with, though. Spare tire (mini donut instead of full size) and possibly aluminum wheels, but then the cost goes up.

The other part is that I have minimal money to spend. Being a mobile tech doesn't pay as good as one might think, even as a pro with 15 years experience. I've had higher (MUCH higher) paying jobs but this one keeps me unstressed and out of the hospital. I was on my way to a heart attack or stroke at my last long term (9yr) job.

Then there is maintenance. I'm not opposed to fuel injection by any means but I'm more comfortable rebuilding carbs etc when needed than fiddling with fuel injection. Then again FI is lower maintenance and generally runs better.

So, you can see where my dilemma is. I'm at your mercy.

What direction should I go here and is there anything I missed in my assessment? I'm not looking for a decision to be made for me, by any means. I just feel like I'm missing something here.

Thanks everyone for your consideration of this rather long post.

Ryan