View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
you are lossing heat up your chimney, lets say your chimney loss is 30% of your heat from fuel, if you have a heat exchanger on the back, top or side of your stove, you are still loosing that heat up your chimney, that is why those air heat exchangers that go in the stove pipe and blow air thur work so well, and seeing as how one of my side jobs is cleaning chimnys, I would advise you to check it more often if you do anything to capture that otherwise lose heat, as creosoot buildup can increase, but with a straight run of chimney it's easy to check and should be done once a year, more often if you add stuff like you are talking about.

between useing ridgid foam, and spray foam, you should have your crall space really well sealed, insulating it from the outside is alwas but invalves more work as you have to dig down a foot or two all around your house, but for example, I did a 25 streach of wall, 2 feet down by my self in about 5 hours, that way the mass of your house foundation stays warm, insted of cold.