View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
duaneb9729
EcoModding Lurker

work truck s-10 - '99 chevorlet S 10
90 day: 23.64 mpg (US)

Heidis VW - '97 Volkswagon Jetta GLS
90 day: 20.54 mpg (US)
all these ideas are great for semis in flat land with no hills at all, with ever truck loaded equally.

semis have such a wide range of horse power, transmissions ie: 6,7,8,9,10, 12, 13,15, and 18 speed transmissions. not to mention rear end ratios.

if truck one truck has more hp, more gears or a lower weight load it can climb hills better than a simerly loaded truck with either less horse power or less gears to choose from, having to slow down more before grabbing the next lower gear.

if you drive through IL or IN in the middle of night sometime you will see semis driving about 55 to 60 miles an hour, going up and down the rolling hills of those states, the traffic is aweful if you are trapped in the right lane you are taking your life in your own hands trying to get out in the left lane where folks are going seventy to eighty miles per hour, and then when all this traffic gets to another state it spreads out quite nicely, and in MHOP its safer.

now i do not claim to be any sort of expert, this is just what i noticed from my own personal experiance driving all over the country for the past thirty four years