View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Gone4
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
What kind of bike is it? You're sure you're going to wait until the snow melts? Some people in Winnipeg have studded tires on their bikes for the winter. One guy e-mailed me from east Winnipeg and said that he always uses his bike to travel 5 miles... as long as temperatures are above -30*C .

A fair few people that e-mailed me after watching the first video suggested I buy a $1000 bike, but I think that's just crazy. I mean if I can buy a Ford Tempo for $200 (a car that can do 180km/h, has heat, and seats 5), why would I spend more money on something that's simply 2 wheels and a frame? I would have to ride a $1000 bike 6,000 kilometres before it became cheaper (per kilometre) than the Geo! Whereas I'll only have to go 450 kilometres on my $68 bike to displace the $/Km of the Geo.

...Actually, come to think of it: 450 kilometres on a bike is a lot!
I bought a Masi Vincere. Your bike is MUCH better suited for winter conditions than mine. I'm not sure it can fit the cyclocross tires I would need to consider riding it in the slushed, iced, and sanded streets we have. This will probably be my last winter in stuff this bad so I justified the purchase. It also cost me $400 (retail is around 3x that), but that is because I ride for sport. I would definitely say you made a great choice living in the great white north.

And 450 km isn't quite as much as you think I started my summer as a skinny out-of-shape guy who struggled making a 15 mile (24 km) journey in decent time and finished the summer doing 250 miles (400 km) a week.