View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Unforgiven
EcoModding Apprentice

Impala - '04 Chevrolet Impala base
90 day: 32.84 mpg (US)
Hmm, as a professional driver I have to say from my opinion that first --- Traffic cops should enforce the laws already posted. Start with that and a lot of the issues with accidents will be avoided because they will not happen. It is already a law to not tailgate, another law specifies how to pass, another law details lights usage... etc etc etc. There are some "supertruckers" that I shake my head at when I see them speeding and doing reckless things, after all, they are just human animals like the rest of us. Then I see far more 4wheelers (cars and pickups and vans) than far exceed the speed that the truckers do. Unsafe lane changes are the norm with them, not the rule. As far speed goes, its the difference in speed that leads to accidents. (case in point, travelling on ice just a few days ago, going 12 mph due to the very VERY slick conditions, another trucker passed me, going about 20 mph. He wiped out, jackknifing his double while we kept on rolling slowly and smoothly. A mile later, 2 cars wiped out going about the same speed difference, and this was on a straightaway.) When the state legislature finally realizes it and does not bow to special interest groups, then accidents will go down more. Convince the courts to tag speeders with a 500 fine minimum to start will help, repeat offenders (3rd time sounds good) should have the license suspended. But, until the cops start doing the job according to the LAW (example, 55mph sign means go 55mph instead of 70) then there will ALWAYS be accidents.