View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #78 (permalink)
GasGuage
Uncle Jam

Lil' Red - '97 Chevy S-10 ext 2WD LS
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)
With the warmer weather here yesterday, I decided to tear into that S-10. I seen that the shroud will need to remain to hold the radiator in place. I started to remove the fan & it was a little different then I expected. After a quick look at a vehicle manual, I noticed my model ('97) was different then the earlier models. Instead of having the normal 4 bolts that holds it on the pulley, it has one large bolt. It's large alright, the biggest open end wrench I have is an inch, & that's way too small. I managed to get a pipe wrench between the fan blades & pulley, but I wasn't sure that was going to work either. The problem is holding the pulley. When trying to break the nut loose, the pulley spins also on the belt. I can't think of any way to stationary that pulley without removing it. Now I'm getting into that serpentine belt. I didn't have the time for that much work, so I had to suspend this endeavor for another time, & hopefully acquire a little more knowledge about serpentine belts & removal. I only have had dealings with V belts. Something this simple is turning into a major undertaking.