View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
hood vent safety mention

I've driven cars old enough that,on occasion, they entertained me with exploding coolant hoses,and radiators.---------------------

Should you do the hood exit,in the event of a cooling system breach,you might find yourself blinded by a windshield covered in glycol and hot vapor attempting to condense on the glass if below it's dew-point.------------------

The mix won't wipe away like rainwater,and if,say you were right in the middle of a lane change in heavy and fast close-quarter freeway traffic,it might all end in a mishap.---------------

This may be a reason why auto makers have "neglected" hood-cited exits.--------------------

If you were to cite the exit closer to the A-Pillars,you'd be dumping air in to very fast-moving,lower static-pressure air than in the centerline,and should the system open up,center vision might be maintained.---------------------------

A kid threw a rock off an overpass in Los Angeles which shattered the windshield of my CRX once.I was in a situation as mentioned above,totally blinded,and it's a miracle that I escaped the situation in one piece.-------------------

Plan for the worst,hope for the best.