View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
GasGuage
Uncle Jam

Lil' Red - '97 Chevy S-10 ext 2WD LS
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)
Fan tool (special tool for fan removal)

After running into problems with the pulley moving while trying to break free the fan nut on a '97 S-10, I ventured up to Advance Auto. I was looking for a large wrench to fit the nut, & they lend tools for free. I told them that I was trying to remove the fan & they informed me of a tool especially made for this purpose. They had a whole kit. There's a large wrench that fits over the pulley bolts to hold it in place so the nut wrench can break free & turn the fan nut. This thing was easy as pie to use, & the fan came right off. and the best part is I'll get my money back on the tool when I return it. Many thanks to the ones that gave suggestions, & special thanks to Concrete who already suceeded with these mods. I'll try to attach a few pix. I've already seen close to a 3mpg increase with just a 10psi change in my tires. That's put me at the 30mpg. I'm really anxious to see what this fan removal, & grill block is going to add. I did the grill block with an old house for sale plastic sign covered in duct tape. Walmart has just about any color duct tape you want to buy for $3 & some change. I picked up the chrome & black.

Shoot, can't show the pix yet. The files are too big. I'll have to load them on my desktop where I have PhotoShop to shrink 'em down some, then attach them for all to see.