View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
A standard Astro cargo van is not as heavy as the conversion hi-top van I have(5800lbs) and with just taking the belt driven fan off mine I am up to 22mpg. I would say an Astro cargo van without the towing package should be over 26mpg if driven normally with just a few very minor mods. trying to actually do some mild hypermiling in a 3.54 geared cargo model could probably be very close to around 30mpg.

But they don't take to high speed driving well at all so if you want to do 75+ you won't even get 15mpg, same thing with under 35mph they suck with the mid stall converter they come with stock at lower speeds. A torque converter lockup indicator light is a great thing to have when driving them at lower speeds. They do seem to be incredibly tough vans though, the drivetrains in them should last 300,000 miles without any trouble other than the weak 4l60e. Just do the basic upgrades to the trans and the whole package should be running perfectly long after the body has rusted away.

A fwd minivan will beat an Astro in mileage and be a much smoother ride with better handling without giving up that much interior space. If you are not planning on towing anymore than 1500lbs or so then a fwd would be worth considering.