View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post

Take P&G driving for example, it may work well for someone that drives in a small town area or a place the roads aren't filled with millions of cars, but I have no doubt that you'll be a victim of road rage in no time if you try it here in Los angeles ...
Didn't happen to me I did quite a bit of driving in LA two weeks ago. I was doing quite a bit of anti-traffic driving too, and surprisingly, less people cut in front as compared to Orlando or South Florida. I have no problems with road rage people (I do occasionally have to deal with them) - as soon as they pass (and they will), I dial non emergency police and call in their plate. Tailgaters? Bring on the washer fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
A lot of you mentioned hydroplaning being a problem of wide tires, all of which is true, but I doubt you find hydroplaning a major problem in most of cars that see that folks here drive, as the average tire size on a Metro is about the size of a roll of electrical tape.
I personally never found hydroplaning to be a problem on any tire sized 205 and under as long as it has good tread depth.

Moti
Meh - you just didn't have the correct conditions for it I personally call it black water as it's just as unidentifiable as black ice. Freshly paved roads (asphalt) seem to drain water very poorly - add a puddle and it's a mess. You can't see the puddle because the shininess from the rest of the poorly drained road blots it out... This happened to me with 14" 60x215's.

Quote:
Modern day cars are made for driving idiots who are clueless about driving physics.
Everything in this current generation of cars is engineered to save the life of the talentless moron that's driving it.
For god sake, there are cars out there that will activate the brakes on their own accord if the engineer that designed the system think that you went too hot into some corner ...
Would you prefer those features be removed? (Just not quite sure what you're getting at). I personally don't mind these things being there...

Quote:
Some drivers, myself included, who have developed their car control skills by taking performance driving courses and lapping racetracks in a variety of cars for some thousands of miles (I logged well over 10K track miles), know that there situations where applying the throttle will do much better than applying the brakes.
I saw many accidents that could have been prevented altogether had the driver sent his foot to the pedal on the right.
I've also seen (and nearly been in) accidents that happened because the driver freaked and pushed their foot down on whatever pedal was closest (the one on the right ). I have avoided accidents like this by applying throttle (that doesn't change that it's not defensive driving) - but I'm not about to advise the masses about this. In all likelihood - we'll see more accidents because people will go for the closer pedal because they can't make the proper decision.

It's great and all that you've got driving experience on the track - this means you're more aware of how driving technique can change the entire driving dynamic. A similar notion goes for hypermilers - the ones that are changing their driving technique (which is the key defining characteristic of a hypermiler). It seems you don't have any issue with neither of these groups - instead, you have a problem with the aforementioned morons. I tend to agree.

And that said, with all due respect, telling us we have a problem because of our trade off between higher pressure and highly tuned driving techniques seems to be a bit misaligned with where your problem is - the moronic drivers we all have to deal with.
UltArc (06-12-2012)