Thread: Boom And Bust
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
I believe the aphorism is "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."
What I meant was just the opposite. Groups of people may have different goals: freedom, world peace, economic hegemony, religious domination, whatever. Then there are various strategies & tactics which the groups may use, according to their resources and inclinations, to achieve their particular goals. In the present world, some jihadist groups have chosen to use the tactic called terrorism. Other groups, with the same basic goal - the spread of Islam and consequent subjugation of the infidels - have chosen to use other tactics: Iran tries to build a strong conventional army & develop nuclear weapons, the Saudis, Kuwaitis, &c invest their oil money so as to increase their economic power, etc.

The point I was trying to make is that I object to all of these. Sure, I don't like seeing my gas money going to fund the jihadists' terrorist training camps, but I also don't want to support the spread of Islam in any way, even if it's something ostensibly peaceful.