View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
I have had some success with large trucks and hypermiling. Most of the tips here are great, but as it has been said before, getting that monster rolling is where you are burning most of your fuel. Therefore I suggest the following.

During acceleration find your sweet spot. These beasts usually have pretty good torque therefore a brisk acceleration into an ideal cruising speed is usually more efficient than a long drawn out acceleration to cruising speed.

On these big beasts I have found that 40mph is usually a nice city speed for efficiency. On the highway, hehe ... learn to drive 55 my friend.

Coast as much as possible. With properly inflated tires that beast should coast very well in neutral and subsequently, pick an empty parking lot somewhere and practice Engine Off Coasting. They are hard to manuever in turns but could save you tons in straight away approaches to lights. Otherwise, kill your idle time by shutting down at lights and remove drive thrus of all kinds from your routine.

If you go that route, consider installing a push button starter which would be easier than turning the key, plus look into disabling your column steering lock if possible to avoid locking the wheel accidentally.

If you do not tow, look into smaller mirrors I am sure the flaps you have on either side are good for at least 1mpg on their own. Also remove any roof rack you may have up top.

These tips I bring to you from Hypermiling an 06 F-250 Diesel which went from an abismal 8mpg to 19mpg with just sensible driving.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???