View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
mavinwy
EcoModding Lurker

Neon1 - '97 Plymouth Neon highline
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
Working as a network admin, and occasionally having to use the tech's company vehicles here....I can rate both of them as decent for the job and hold up well.

The first is a 2005 Dodge minivan with the 3.0. Highway here in Wyoming is 75 and a lot of mountains. Average MPG for it has been 26-28. It has 125k miles on it now and runs just fine. They are easy to find used and repairs have been low on this model. It replaced an Astrovan that was basically garbage. It only went 88K before breaking a-arm and steering components (I don't remember the year of it).

The second is a 2001 Honda CRV. A small sport-util. 4 wheel drive and average on it has been 25 so far. I understand the manual transmission versions get considerably better.

Both are decently comfortable for up to an 8 hour trip.

Even a full sized car would meet your requirements for MPG though. A friend of mine who is 6'4" and a traveling salesman ran Crown Vics for many years. Averaging about 23 overall. He had the same issues getting out of low slung cars which is why he stayed full sized. He recently replaced his last one at 250K miles with a PT cruiser (It had been his wife's....he bought her a new Mini) and he likes how he sits upright in it and still averages 27.

Jim